Saturday, June 20, 2009

Stephen Indyk



Major(s): Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Concentration
Institution: Rutgers University

About Me:Hello, I am a Mechanical Engineering senior at Rutgers University in New Jersey. Some activities I am and have been involved with include fencing, remote control airplane building/flying, bicycling, hiking and photography. My interest in space and space exploration stems mainly from the vehicles. It fascinates me that we can design and build complex machines that are capable of such adverse environments and conditions.

I feel fortunate that my project lies directly in my interests of space exploration. My group is designing a robotic system to operate in microgravity. The purpose of this robotic system would be to collect samples from an asteroid or to repair a satellite. The difficult aspect of the project is that the robotic system need to counter act any forces applied to the surface it is working on. This is to say, if the robot is not fastened to the surface, and wants to drill a hole, it will just spin off the surface. Like many engineering challenges, it is a hard problem that will take much time and energy to solve, but will provide a great sense of accomplishment when completed. I hope to gain a better understanding of a space environment from the Sudbury trip. This education will enhance my capabilities to design better space systems.

1 comment:

  1. You have an interest in space vehicles. Was it spurred by the first Lunar Rover? A robotic system able to operate in microgravity sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete